Sunday, May 11, 2008

Can i be ur friend??? Ah let me know ur race first!

My parents brought up me according to my race, but they never under estimated any other religion or never did they tell me not to make friends with children of another race. I was free to make my own Friends,. I have written about my best friends in an earlier post. And what i forgot to tell there (because it never occurred to me that much until now) is that we 4 are from 3 different races. But it was never a big deal to me. sometimes it was kind of hard when it came to dress codes and parties because i have some restrictions there, but my friends understood that and respected my individuality never did they laugh or criticized me. So in my life up to now i have never been bothered or tortured by racism (other than by few school teachers) i think i was lucky to have such understanding friends.

Now I’m in uni and life is quite different from school and it’s quite hard to find good friends like back at home. And I have seen many people suffering because of the racism issue. My uni is full of people from different races and the main thing I see is, nobody likes to mingle with the Africans, and, it bothers them a lot and they feel like an outcast and most of them have lost their self confidence. I have two great African friends. They help me in every way. Another thing is most of the time Africans stick together with Africans, Indians with Indians, Malays with Malays and Chinese with Chinese.
Pathetic isn’t it I thought the whole idea of an international university with so many different races is about interacting with each other. Guess I was wrong!

Even if u try to be good friends with people of other races sometimes it doesn’t go that well. Because In the long run u will come across some racial thing no matter how good the friends are. Sometimes they will all go partying and will forget to tell u. they all will talk the same language and u won’t understand anything and they will rarely talk in English. They will remember to give everyone a birthday gift but u. and most of the time u will be left behind. They will forget u exist and criticize ur religion in front of u.Wont these things make u wonder and question your self? Won’t u tend to think that they don’t like your company? And really don’t care a damn about your friendship or your feelings? Sometimes they may be not knowing that they are hurting u it’s just that they care more about they are own kind.

What should be the reason that people like to stick with people from they are own race and give more priority to them? Is it because it’s more comfortable and more convenient? Or is it something that they do involuntarily? Or is it the way they were brought up?

I really don't know whether there are answers to all these questions. How can people judge or make friends according to a skin color or a race.. Can’t it be only about caring, sharing and fun? Why can’t we enjoy our differences? And treat each person according to his individuality without grouping him to a color or race first

Consider this merely as a blog and nothing else.everything i have told here is NOT from my experiences so do not question me!





2 comments:

eLhamza said...

wow!I'm facing the very same problem. And I'm really frustrated and confused....

I try my best to ignore there "ignorance" as much as I can.But sometimes I fail and burst out.

Come on, I'm human too, even though I call myself The Cyborg Spy.lol

Most of the time what I do is, say to myself "You don't have to be one of them or change yourself ,they are not worth it".

I totally agree with the same race clang you are referring to.May be they are much comfortable with their own kind.

But it really hurts when your so called caring and close "friend" of the other race forgets all about you when he/she is with his or her own "group".

Talking about the B'day present,I'm sure you don't give damn about the present but the idea of being remembered and loved.

To make it worse they may even tell you that had so much difficulties when getting a present for some other friend.:(

This is life SHE MIND,we have to face it.You cant blame them either.It's there wish after all.

But we should hold our stand firm and stick to out plan.Don't let others change you.You don't have to be one of them to have them.They are not surely worth it.

Be nice to them in return,be yourself.At least you will be happy and most importantly be yourself

Keep Blogging

Anonymous said...

Wow I could hug you right now. This is one of those days when I'm feeling the effect of belonging to a minority community. Racial/religios differences were never a problem in school. I've only started feeling it after leaving school.

Some people make me so mad that I just want to leave the country and leave them all behind! But I calm myself down because not everyone has the whole racist "this is my country and you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it's bounties" attitude. Not all of them want us to "go back to Arabia". (Hellloo I didn't come here from Arabia!)

Fortunately I don't experience this problem when I'm with friends. It's the others who seem to enjoy going out of their way to pick on the minority communities. And that's very very annoying because such episodes are usually unprovoked. No matter how hard we try to be nice and mingle with them they are determined to be rude to us.

What the heck. Just do your part to be good. If they don't appreciate it they can go hang somewhere!